Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Soviet Imperial Guard invade Templecon!



So I'm a bit late posting this and the details are fuzzy but here goes. The Templecon 40k Onslaught GT was February 2nd and 3rd. The missions were interesting and well thought out, i liked the way they incorporated "first blood", "linebreaker", and "kill the warlord" were part of the victory point scale.

My List


HQ1: Company Command Squad 50, Chimera +55, 4 Plasma Guns +60 = 165
Troop1: Veteran Squad 70, 3 Plasma Guns +45, Chimera +55 = 170
Troop2: Veteran Squad 70, 3 Plasma Guns +45, Chimera +55 = 170
Troop3: Platoon Command Squad 30, 4 flamers +20, Chimera 55 = 105
            Infantry Squad 50, Power Axe +10 =60
Infantry Squad 50, Power Axe +10 =60
Infantry Squad 50, Power Axe +10 =60
Infantry Squad 50, Commissar +35 =85
Infantry Squad =50
 
Heavy1: Manticore =160
Heavy2: Manticore =160
Heavy3: Leman Russ Demolisher =165
 
IG Total: 1410
 
Detachment (Grey Knights)
HQ: Inquisitor Coteaz = 100
Troop1: Grey Knight Strike Squad x10 200, +2 Psycannons +20, Nemesis Hammer +10 = 230
Heavy1: Nemesis Dreadknight 130, Heavy Incinerator +30, Greatsword +25, Teleporter +75 = 260
 
GK Total: 590
Army Total: 2000





Round 1 vs IG / Space Wolves

The game started out well for me, I'd say my biggest mistake of the game was getting my dreadknight into assault too soon with his blob, i was doing serious damage with the incinerator and my blobs massed lasgun fire, by getting into assault i did minimal damage due to the "challenge" rule and stopped the damage i was doing in the shooting phase. Lesson learned

As i said i was doing excellent, blew up most of his vehicles my first turn and decimated his blob, however due to poor rolling and cover/smokes saves he still had 2 chimeras full of guys that got to my side of the board objectives. My Grey Knights were sitting on the Relic in cover... and then his 3 vendettas showed up. My weakness with this list is the lack of anti-flyer, the only semi-effective thing i have is psycannons twin linked from Prescience, the 3 Vendettas with lascannons and heavy bolter sponsons whittled down the grey knights into turn 6 or 7, the psycannons were taking out early and while they were in cover you can only pass so many saves before bad luck catches up.

Results: 6 out of 20



Round 2 vs Tau / Space Wolves

Played against John Walsh, his tau vehicles getting  their crazy cover saves were very effective and his broadsides in cover did pretty good damage to my guys. My manticores decimated most of his firewarriors and devastator squad, and my Dreadknight quickly annihilated his drop pod squad but then his space wolves (grey hunters?) infiltrated from the side and having a stealth cover save stopped most of my plasma and lasgun shots. The game ended with me only having Coteaz left on the board, well done John

Results: 0 out of 20



Round 3 vs IG

Fought against another mech guard army (woot for no flyers), he had 2 hellhounds which never got in range of my guys, a Plasma Leman Russ which did some moderate damage to my grey knights, a couple Griffin mortars which killed a dozen or so of the blob. The dreadknight did amazing destroying a leman russ, a chimera and a ton of troops, heavy weapons teams, and his company command squad. Brought down in the last turn by lascannon fire...RIP. The game ended with him only having a few troops on the board and max points for me (finally a win)

Results: Max points



Round 4 vs IG / Space Marines

As I'm horrible with names i don't remember most of my opponents names, i believe this gentleman was one of the Cold Steel Merc guys from CT.

I was a bit concerned going into this one as he had a full squad of storm shield termies up close, 3 flyers and a bunch of mech guard. Fortuently i went first and did some severe damage to his termies with massed plasma fire, popped his whirlwind before it got a shot off and did some damage to his Chimera. I also jumped my dread into his midst and flamed a scout squad.

I think this was another relic mission, most of my vehicles were still alive at the end, his only troops were a squad that came out of his vendetta last turn. My grey knights were mostly gone from his Vendetta and 2 Storm Talons.

Results:  18 or Max points (cant remember)



Round 5 vs Chaos Space Marines / IG

The primary for this mission was collecting points for sitting on objectives throughout the game, i brought down his manticore right away, he had a small squad of bikes i plasma'ed and his HQ was brought down early by psycannon and storm bolter fire. He had a huge monstrous something or other (the name eludes me) that got into assault quickly with my blob and stayed that way for the game (which was fine by me, he did a moderate amount of damage to the blob and tied him down all game). Ended with me winning the primary, we tied the secondary (marked for death kinda thing) and close to max for victory points tertiary.

Results: 14 out of 20

Weaknesses

Flyers: obviously i need to get some anti-flyer in the list, even if it's only a Aegis Defense Line and Quad Gun
High Toughness Creatures: Still having a problem with Tyranids
Assaults: The power axes i added to the blob help in certain instances, but STR 4/AP 2 still isn't that useful
Armor saves: Need SM allies bad, more to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment